Thursday, September 09, 2010

RIP Yonezo Mikame

I just heard some really sad news for me personally. It's come to my attention that Mr. Mikame, one of the finest crafters in the magic industry, just passed away a few hours ago.

If you don't own a Mikame Craft product, you're really missing out. And if you do, then you will know that we just lost someone who put quality above anything else.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Mikame and hanging out with him all day while he was in town. It was a pretty private thing, with only a few other people in the room. Not only did he perform a private show demonstrating all his products, but we got to share lunch and chat with him.

What impressed me the most is from the outside, he appeared to be this little, old man......but when he began to perform magic, something changed. His face was vibrant. His humor almost floored me with the way he presented his magic. It drew me in and I wanted to buy EVERYTHING he was showing me! It was a very touching moment for me to share that experience with one of the greats in the industry.

My only regret is not getting to know him longer, and I wish him and his family the best during this hard time.

Needless to say, there's a good chance that since his passing, all of his items are going to become collectors items, since he is no longer around to manufacture them. I cannot recommend his items enough, and you can see our wide selection right here.

RIP Mr. Mikame. Thank you for everything you've done and setting the standard as high as you did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's sad. His items look well made. However, as far as I know he produced many unauthorized copies, without permission, of products invented by companies such as Thayer, Owen, and Clarence Miller. For that reason, I have refused to purchase his products and only buy the originals, even though they may cost a little more.