Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My Daughter Broke Her Arm

This blog is not only a window into the MJM Magic scene, but it's also a doorway into my personal life (because let's face it, MJM is just as much a part of me as my own family!)

So yesterday, the unthinkable happens. My wife calls me up and says that my youngest daughter (Katelyn, almost 2 yrs old) fell off a chair and broke her arm. I rushed home just in time for them to come back from Urgent Care, where we had to anxiously await a phone call from the doctor regarding her x-ray results. As you can see from the picture, even when she passed out, she was still holding her arm in pain.

The call eventually came and the news was bad: she fractured her arm. She is to remain in a cast for two weeks, which means she requires a lot more constant care than normal. Little things like eating with utensils and getting up on the couch are now almost impossible for her. Things that normally weren't a big deal (like seeing her trip over a toy) suddenly become astronomically worse, because even a small fall would send her landing on that arm again.

To be honest, the most heartbreaking thing is when she looks up at me and says, "Daddy, take it off my hand....take it off." I have to tell her that I can't take it off, baby......we have to wait until it's better. :(

But it could have been a LOT worse, so for that, I am thankful. As you can see, she now gets anything she wants during this recovery time. Goldfish? Fruit Snacks? You got it, Katelyn! Just relax and try not to hurt yourself anymore, for Pete's sake.

No comments: